Senior Digital Communications Developer
As a Senior Digital Communications Developer at The University of Manchester Library I specialise in creating and implementing a wide range of digital communications solutions for web, social media, signage and interactive content.
My work includes web design, search engine optimisation (SEO), analytics, accessibility, multimedia, project management, user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design. I love combining words, visual media and technology to communicate ideas.
Always happiest outdoors, I enjoy walking, hiking and exploring. I also have a passion for the great indoors and enjoy cooking, wine, collecting music (especially on vinyl), books, guitars and film. I live with my family in Disley, a village on the edge of the Peak District.
Be sure to follow my blog for the latest(ish) updates and photos from my adventures.
Find out more
About my website
I love the early web, especially the home-made, personal websites that appeared in places like Geocities in the late 1990s. In the days before social media, a personal website was a little patch of the internet where you could let people know all about you. This website is a nostalgic attempt to keep the spirit of the old web alive. It's also fun to code.
Everything on this website is hand-coded in semantic HTML. I've used a classless CSS framework to keep things looking neat, tidy and mobile responsive. Site updates are made the old fashioned way, using a computer.
Early web page file sizes were tiny by todays standards. However, loading times felt slow due to the dial-up connection speed. With a home page coming in at around 64kb, this website is light, fast, green and doesn't eat into data plans. Admittedly, the blog photos are a bit of an indulgence but I keep everything super compressed. To put things in perspective, this entire website (including two years of blogs and photos) has a smaller total file size than one photo on your smartphone.
This website doesn't use any cookies or tracking scripts. So browse freely and privately.
I work in digital now, but I've included the whole journey for nostalgia.
The University of Manchester (2006 to present)
- Senior Digital Communications Developer, The University of Manchester Library, 2023
- Digital Communications Developer, The University of Manchester Library, 2018
- Web Content Editor, The Faculty of Humanities, The University of Manchester, 2017
- Digital Communications Officer, IT Services, The University of Manchester, 2015
- Web Content Editor Assistant, The Faculty of Humanities, The University of Manchester, 2013
- Digital Learning Consultant, Manchester Business School, The University of Manchester, 2012
- Writer of Learning Materials, Centre for Educational Leadership, The University of Manchester, 2010
- Research and Development Co-ordinator, Centre for Educational Leadership, The University of Manchester, 2009
- Programmes Co-ordinator, Centre for Educational Leadership, The University of Manchester, 2007
- Finance Assistant, Centre for Educational Leadership, The University of Manchester, 2006
- Accounts Assistant, Faculty of Life Sciences, The University of Manchester, 2006
The early years...
- Housekeeping, Aurora Kakadu, Austrailia, 2005
- Orange Picker, Mildura, Australia, 2005
- Vineyard Farmer, Mildura, Australia, 2005
- Chicken Farmer, Gingin, Australia, 2005
- Lettuce Picker, Gingin, Australia, 2005
- Bar Manager, Trof, Manchester, 2005
- Cultural Representative, The Walt Disney Company, USA, 2004
- Retail Assistant, Disney Store, Manchester, 2003
- Bookshop Manager, The Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester, 2003
- Usher, The Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester, 2002
- Actor, The Library Theatre, Manchester, 2001 / 2002
- Promoter Assistant (freelance), UK, 2001
- Retail Assistant, GAP, Manchester, 1999
- Bookings Operator, UCI Cinemas, Manchester, 1998
- Shelf Stacker, Tesco, Stratford upon Avon, 1997
- Trolley Collector, Safeway, Stratford upon Avon, 1996
- Checkout Assistant, Safeway, Stratford upon Avon, 1996
- BA (Hons) Theatre Arts, Manchester Metropolitan University, 2001
- A Levels, English Literature, Theatre Studies, Media Studies, Stratford upon Avon College, 1998
- BTEC, Performing Arts, Stratford upon Avon College, 1998
- City and Guild, Practical Media Studies, Stratford upon Avon College, 1998